Attire & Personal Hygiene
- Arrive hygiene friendly
- No open-toed shoes
- Hair worn back or wear hat
- No tank tops / immodest clothing
- No visible midriffs (stomach)
- Do not share personal information with clients, provide rides or give money.
- Report inappropriate language or behavior to staff.
- Sign in for your shift upon arrival.
- Help us improve our service to you and those we serve by completing our online satisfaction survey.
Role of Health Department
- Regulatory Body / Site Inspections.
- Improve Quality Control Measures.
- Prevent Communicable Disease.
— Do not serve if you are sick.
— No eating, chewing gum, or smoking in kitchen - no exceptions
— No cell phone use is permitted in the kitchen area (other areas are available)
Our kitchen is divided into 3 different areas and volunteers generally should not cross serve between these areas without washing hands.
— food preparation
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds
(use designated hand wash sinks only).
- Dry hands with towel or with mechanical dryer. Turn faucet off with towel.
Wash hands after:
— touching face or hair.
— handling different foods.
— performing a different kitchen function and then handling food.
— after smoking, using restroom or cell phone
Use latex gloves (still wash) when:
- you have cuts on your hands.
- handling raw meat.
- touching food with hands.
- To prevent cross contamination, there are two different colored sanitizing buckets for the dining & kitchen preparation areas.
- napkin with cup turned downside.
- ice water pitchers (2 - 3 per table).
- salt & pepper (2 sets per table).
- Children are served 1st (notify kitchen that you need a child's portion).
- Once patron is seated, take tray from serving window and serve
(1st in = 1st served).
- No tray can be taken back once served (please dispose of in trash).
- No "second" servings (patrons receive 3 large portioned meals daily) and only serve food authorized by the cook on shift.
- Wipe down tables, chairs, and equipment.
- Put away tables and chairs or set up as directed, sweep (first) and mop floors.
- Use cleaning solution in mop bucket as directed
Under Kitchen Supervisor Direction:
- Label food with expiration dots.
- Place food in designated labeled areas of fridge and/or freezer.
- No food is to be stored on floor
(must be 6" off the floor).
- Dispose of food past expiration or that has been reheated more than once.
- There are over 3,000 homeless in Utah on any given night.
- The average annual household income for clients served at The Coalition is $8,139
- Agency philosophy and programs work to balance community empathy with personal accountability in services rendered.
Other ways you can make a difference:
— conduct a drive
— donate grocery store gift cards
— complete an eagle scout project
— donate professional services
— join Team Grub